Here’s an additional reflection exercise to do every now and then: looking back at the previous period of time (I’m taking 2022 as a reference) and making a list of what worked for you.
I hadn’t done this exercise in a while, so let me do this analysis publicly.
The following 10 things worked for me in 2022:
- Trying to reserve entire days for concentrated work.
- Sorting emails in folders (and using email rules).
- The childcare that I found in the Netherlands for my stay there.
- Working on single-authored papers.
- Getting funding from the EU in a consortium.
- Preparing an entire course in a short, concentrated period of a few weeks.
- Friday meetings with my PhD candidates.
- Having a flower subscription for my home.
- Returning to having a gym membership.
- Having a short but intense visit to Delft.