Another semester is past, so let’s have a look at how I did in terms of my semester goals:
- Submit 4 papers. Yes! One paper has one of my PhD candidates as first author, two papers have a postdoc as first authors, and one paper is single-authored by me.
- Work with my PhD candidate on thesis. Yes, we are making progress to the last months.
- Guide PhD candidate with experiments. The specimens are in the lab and the setup is getting built – I’m looking forward to participate in these experiments this summer when I will be in Delft.
- Prepare new teaching material for MSc course. I’ve finished my share completely.
- Teach Bridge Engineering at BSc level (new course!). Yes, I’m now waiting for the results of the student evaluations.
- Start new EU research project. Yes, and we even got funding for a small, local complimentary side project to gte more data.
- Hire a post-doc. Yes, the post-doc started on May 1st.
- Speak at 3 places or online. My passport renewal took long so I haven’t been searching actively for speaking gigs. I now have a new passport (with sketches of Tintin!) so I’m up for any invitations 🙂
- Get better sleep. It’s pretty much the same. Last year’s average was 7h37′ per night and this year is 7h35′ per night.
- Contemplative practices. On and off.
- Write for fun. This didn’t happen much. My creative juices are pretty much spent by the time it is evening.
- 4 workouts per week. After being sick with a bad cough for almost three months (and hurting my ribs from the cough), I’m back to exercising regularly.
- Organize our new house. We’ve done some progress, but we still have a number of things to fix.
- Plan 2 weekends away from the city. We had visitors from the US at the beginning of the years and visited places with them, my husband and I went on a weekend to celebrate our dating anniversary, and my daughter and I went on a four-day trip during the Easter break.
All in all, I did very well on my work goals and reasonably well on my personal and family goals.
What was your Spring semester like?