Spring 2021 was another full pandemic semester for me. Since April, we have a full curfew on the weekends, which really limits our options for going out and getting some fresh air.
Looking at how I spent my time, I can see the following:
- 15% on writing papers
- 14% on teaching
- 13% on this blog and the podcast and developing the “Research in difficult times” course
- 12.5% on service
- 7% on triaging email
- 6% on the journal I manage
- 5% on planning
- 4% on TU Delft related meetings
- 4% on one of my PhD students
- 3.5% on admin
- 3% on TU Delft related teaching
- 3% on learning
- 2% on a research project
- 2% on another PhD student
- various smaller categories
I’m glad that writing is my top category, but overall my time has been quite fractured this semester. I’ve been doing a lot of supervision: currently 6 MSc students in Delft, 1 abroad, 3 PhD students in Delft, and 3 abroad. All of these are supervised by committee, but it still requires quite some time and effort from my side.
Here’s what I achieved this semester:
- Resubmitted 2 papers for review, one of which is already published, and the other of which is awaiting for comments of the editor.
- Submitted 1 conference paper (accepted already) and 3 journal papers (all still in review).
- Got the R2 reviews of one paper back – accepted pending minor revisions (which I will take care of shortly).
- There’s too much in my pipeline – I have 14 (!) papers that I am juggling in various stages of drafting, one of which has been gathering dust since 2018 or so.
- The book about the PhD defense has been approved by reviewers and editors. Yay!
- I acted as chief reviewer (handling editor) for the papers about recent research and structures in Belgium and the Netherlands for the May 2021 issue of Structural Engineering International.
- I obtained my University Teaching Qualification.
- I graduated 1 BSc thesis student and 1 MSc thesis student.
- I attend the TRB annual meeting, the ACI Spring convention, and the eLearning Success Summit.
- After a lingering knee injury and then a clumsy fall which hurt my tailbone, I’m back to some form of an exercise routine.
- I’ve meditated daily for over 365 days and am still going strong.
- I did a fair amount of knitting and taught myself crochet.
- I had a lot of dental work done.
- I joined a wine club and am getting a good bottle every month, and I got a subscription to a flower service.