At the beginning of every semester, I first make my task list for the upcoming semester. In this task list, I review my upcoming deadlines and responsibilities in terms of research projects, graduate students, papers to write, service responsibilities, teaching, and conferences and travel commitments.
Then, I outline a handful of priorities/goals in the categories work, self, and relationships.
For Fall 2022, my priorities are:
- Submit 4 papers.
- Develop the preparation report for the next experiments.
- Guide thesis writing for PhD candidates.
- Prepare new teaching material.
- Start new research projects.
- Get more sleep.
- Write for fun.
- Get 30-60 minutes of exercise 5 times per week, potentially get a gym membership.
- Move to our new house.
- Have 4 family hikes.
- Have 4 lunch or dinner dates.