Although I don’t have a fixed schedule for work on a daily basis, I wanted to share a typical day in the life. I’m combining my position as a full professor at USFQ with a part-time tenured assistant professorship in the Netherlands. My days are quite different now from 5 years ago, so I wanted to discuss a day in the life.
I’ll try to depict a typical day.
I usually teaching Tuesdays and Thursdays, meet my PhD candidates on Thursdays and Fridays, and try to keep Mondays and Wednesdays for larger blocks of work.
Here’s how a typical day looks like:
- 6:00 up, get dressed, give medication to the cat
- 6:20 out of the door
- 6:35 – 7:30 gym
- 7:30 shower, get dressed
- 8:00 in office, virtual meetings with colleagues in Europe
- 10:00 research or class preparation
- 12:00 lunch
- 13:00 teaching
- 14:30 after-class sorting things out (uploading recording of class etc)
- 15:00 research or class preparation or meeting or office hours (i.e meet students)
- 16:00 email
- 17:00 leave, drive to daughter’s activity
- 18:00 pick up daughter, go home
- 18:30 cook dinner, eat dinner, hang out with daughter, bedtime
- 20:30 finish some more work
- 21:30 in bed with a book
- 22:00-ish sleep