Today, I have the pleasure of hosting Christian Olele from Nigeria in the How I Work series. Christian is a registered Professional Engineering Geologist with the Council of Nigerian Mining Engineers and Geoscientists (COMEG) and Project Manager experienced in the sector of Geotechnical Engineering in Nigeria, West Africa. He received his B.Sc. and PGdip. degrees in Geology from the University of Port Harcourt, Choba, Nigeria; and his M.Sc. degree in Project Management from the University of Liverpool, Liverpool, U.K. Christian supervised several Sub-Structure Projects that deal with Geotechnics on the Lekki Toll Road Infrastructure Project (Pedestrian Bridges, Falomo Ramp Bridge and Toll Booths & Plazas), Bored and Precast Concrete Piles & Metal Sheet Piles for Osborne Jetty Terminal, Ikoyi, Lagos. Currently, he is heading the construction management team of EdgeGold Concept Services Limited, Lagos.
Current Job: Project Manager
Current Location: Lagos, Nigeria (West Africa)
Current mobile device: Iphone 6
Current computer: HP ProBook 4330
What tools, apps and software are essential to your workflow?
MS Project, Primavera, Tsoft.
What does your workspace setup look like?
|On the job site|
What is your best advice for productive academic work?
My M.sc Thesis (The Challenges of Public Private Partnership (PPP) Projects in a Developing Country: The Case Study of the Lekki Toll Road Infrastructure Project in Lagos, Nigeria).
How do you keep an overview of projects and tasks?
- I create my list of Tasks in a Project
- I follow up on the resources needed for each tasks
- I check daily with Progress on each task to make sure the Project is within time and Budget
- I call for review meeting with the team to motivate them
- I meet with the Project Stakeholders to brief them about the progress on the Project.
Besides phone and computer, do you use other technological tools in work and daily life?
I use an iPad and camera.
Which skill makes you stand out as an academic?
My skills with regard to presentation, writing, and communication
What do you listen to when you work?
- I listen to learn something new in my profession
- I listen to the plight of people so as to solve their problems and give advice
What are you currently reading? Currently, I am reading “The New Rules: Emotional Intelligence” by Dr. Rob Yeung
Are you more of an introvert or extrovert? How does this influence your working habits?
- I am an Extrovert and have impressive powers of concentration and problem solving
- I volunteer for everything that comes along. Work on several committees at a time, even if the committees have little in common.
- I involve myself socially with everyone and instigate personal discussions.
- I can become overly friendly with staff and clients and keep Proper boundaries to maintain the respect of others.
What’s your sleep routine like?
I sleep between midnight and 6 am
What’s your work routine like?
I work in the office 3 days a week and field 2 days (Sometimes 3 days a week).
What’s the best advice you ever received?
“If someone offers you an amazing opportunity and you are not sure you can do it, say yes. Then learn how to do it later.” — Richard Branson